Student Services Unit (SSU)
The Student Services Unit is an interdisciplinary department made up of professionals in Psychology, Speech Therapy and Psychopedagogy, who provide support to students, parents, and teachers, with the objective of achieving an integral development of the student throughout their educational process. Each area (Preschool, Elementary School, and High School) has its own ESU.
We share with you the composition and projects of each of the Units of the different areas:
Preschool Student Services Unit
The Preschool Student Services Unit has a Psychologist and a Language Therapist. Its main objective is the development of the student population in their first academic experience.
During the process, activities, workshops, games, and talks that promote social, personal, and emotional development are implemented. According to their emotional needs, they are given disciplinary, emotional, and social support; creating an appropriate environment where values are strengthened, mainly Franciscan values.
The support service provides accompaniment to the student population that requires reinforcement in the skills and abilities that favor their independence and performance in the activities developed in the school environment.
In the language area, it focuses on the prevention, evaluation, diagnosis and intervention of communication disorders, alterations in oral language, development of auditory discrimination skills (phonological awareness), which are involved in written production.
At a general level, the Preschool SSU intervenes and performs the following activities:
- Accompaniment in the educational process
- Implementation of institutional programs
- Childhood development of social skills
- Re-education of language functions (alterations in language comprehension and expression)
- Reinforcement of learning from the emotional area
- Accompaniment to parents on issues of interest to children’s development
Elementary School Student Services Unit
The Elementary School Student Services Unit is comprised of the following areas: Psychology, Speech Therapy and Psychopedagogy.
In this Unit, projects are developed in response to the needs of students and teachers, such as:
- Strengthening of the Executive Functions, which facilitate the student’s organization, planning, time management, among others
- Learning Styles Project
- PROSEXIN: Integral sexuality institutional project
- Annual activity: Health Fair
High School Student Services Unit
The Secondary Student Services Unit is made up of 5 psychologists. Each psychologist is in charge of a level or generation that accompanies them from their entry to Seventh grade until their graduation in Eleventh grade.
The general objectives of the psychologist in Secondary are as follows:
- To provide comprehensive care and support to students by involving the various stakeholders of the educational community.
- To detect and follow up on risk situations in students.
- To generate improvements in the quality of life of the actors involved in the educational process: students, teachers and parents.
- To support the success of the teaching-learning process through teamwork.
- To provide support and advice to teachers in order to favor the teaching-learning process and the promotion of students’ integral wellbeing, both individually and as a group.
- To seek novel strategies in the field of educational psychology that will keep us at the forefront in this area.
These are the areas of work of Secondary psychologists:
- Psycho-pedagogical support to students
- Psychological intervention
- Teamwork with teachers
- Preventive programs and vocational orientation
- Teamwork with parents
- Administrative support
English language certification program granted by the University of Cambridge.
- YL Starters
- YL Movers
Saint Clare School maintains the REF (French Teaching Network) agreement with the Alliance Française de Costa Rica, an agreement that commits both institutions to provide high quality teaching in French. The DELF test (Diploma of French Language Studies) is taken.
We have the Ecologic Blue Flag Program within our institution to promote environmental values and awareness in our students.